Sunday, November 20, 2005

Earth to America

I have seen so much television since I've been here in Strangeland. I can't remember watching so much TV in the past 6-7 years. But, basketball and the Phoenix Suns and San Antonio Spurs aside, most of the stuff I watch isn't inventive, and for heaven's sake I get to see all that back home too. But, today I saw this completely different show; so different it caught me by surprise.

Best Comedians in the World
Well, we are all familiar by now that the word 'World' in American translates to 'Country' and is never to be taken literally, except for facts like 'Biggest consumer of oil in the world', 'Highest energy consumer in the world', and so on. But, yeah there were pretty good comedians on display for this show - Steve Martin, Robin Williams (he's my favourite), Ray Romano, Will Ferrell, Jack Black, Cedric the Entertainer (thats his name!), Larry David, Ben Stiller, and of course, Leonardo Di Caprio. Ok, hes not funny, but I still laugh when I hear the ladies go crazy when he's on stage. Cos, they haven't seen me yet and dunno what they are missing. No, they aren't missing a narcissistic moron.

Why were the comedians there? Well, finally someone had to accept that this 'World' is doing a lot of damage to the Earth (the World as we know it) with Greenhouse gases, toxic emissions, fossil fuel consumption, energy spending lavishness. I think no one takes stuff like the environment seriously here, so some good-natured, earth-loving comedians decided to give it to them in a different serving, like sugar-coated medicine. And I think it must have worked. They were cracking jokes, but also emphasising why the people have to elect representatives who themselves care about the future of the planet, how they can make a whole lot of difference with a little effort in their daily lives. I just hope the message sticks before they flick channels to watch Desperate Housewives tonight, cos thats tough to beat.

Why the fuss?
Everybody knows what the Greenhouse effect is, and how we are hurting ourselves by pumping CFCs and burning hydrocarbons. But, how many of us are serious enough to do our bit? When I see what goes on here in StrangeLand, I realise how much better people in developing countries are when it comes to environmental causes.

- Every dude and damsel drives to work. In a car. Alone. 4 wheels. 1 person. Whole lotta gas.
- Not just that. People don't give too much of a damn to the mileage the car gives. Its all about whose car is faster. And the Hummer that I once accidentally praised, is the king of gas-guzzlers. 44% of the oil consumption is by motor vehicles. This nation has some of the lowest gas prices in the world, which is wrong, cos the way people burn gas here, by the formula of demand and supply, it should be all the more expensive. Thats the only way to hurt people enough to start car pooling.
- Where we use fans back home, these guys have airconditioners, running all day. 10 times more costly in terms of energy consumption. And I've seen people crib when they don't have access to airconditioning, like its a basic amenity.
- Ever heard of the Kyoto Protocol? Well you might want to start here. 154 countries signed the treaty and agreed to put in place restrictions on toxic emissions of greenhouse gases and set targets to achieve certain low levels of emissions. Strangely, StrangeLand didn't sign. Its gonna hurt that lifestyle too much, isnt it? Ooh its so hot in here without the airconditioning. My hair doesn't set without them CFC-laden aerosol hairsprays. Do you expect me to walk for 5 minutes to the grocery store?

An astronaut's view

I dunno about you guys, but the view of the earth from space is one of the most breathtaking views I've ever seen. Wish I'd seen it for real, flying in orbit. The guys on the show including Leonardo himself, and Dustin Hoffman, narrated quotes from Astronomers about the view.


The only common theme was that this view shows us that the earth has no boundaries among nations. You simultaneously get a feel for the astounding and infinite universe, and the gorgeous planet earth teeming with life, both from opposite windows of the shuttle. It also reminds you, ever so deeply, that the gift of life, and the Earth itself, are so precious and we better do our part to take care of it. Its true, a trip to outer space, can turn an Astronaut into a Humanitarian.

If only it were possible, I'd send everyone out for these breathtaking tours and make humanitarians out of every soul. Alas, even though I ensure not to do damage myself to the Earth, I wrap myself in my daily life thickly enough not to do anymore. And that's true of every other person. I don't have a solution to that other than being sadistically shaken by some calamity that is directly linked to these horrible things we are doing. I sound harsh, but that is exactly what drives people to change. Prophecies worked in the age of kings, and people acted on them, not true anymore.

4 comments:

Sudhamshu said...

Interesting insight into the Lives of the 'Developed Countries'. You've been an environmentalist ... speaking about it atleast, for quite a long time.
I hear there are special lanes in some places in the US for cars with atleast 4 people, prompting people to embrace car pooling. I think that's a good start.
When people have the power that money provides (although illusory!), they do not actually worry about Nature or anything for that sake. All of us are equally irresponsible in developing countries too. But like you said only a calamity will prompt people to change.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you. And I can quote an example to support ur thaughts...
I live in Bangalore and this year the rains created havoc in blore. Being in such a high altitude, one would not have expected blore to suffer so much.. This happened all because of mean man made blunders.
And to add to thtwhenever calamity strikes, we keep on blamming mother nature! Are we also not responsible?

Niranjan Tulpule said...

Yep that's one good thing about the US. There's always good standup comedy around. Although I missed out on that show, hopefully they have a rerun sometime. Anyway, how's things with you? How long are you going to be here?

Addicted To Chaos said...

Sudhamshu : I dunno about the special lane thing here in the US. As for responsibility, I think that it is more the responsibility of the developed nations to take care of Nature than the rest. It is only fair considering they have done whatever it takes to get where they are today, ignoring the environment. Plus, they claim to be more responsible and more worthy of wielding power in global organisations. Its time to fulfil that promise that they've always been making.

Anonymous : Well, the bangalore havoc wasnt half as bad as what happened in Mumbai. I was there when it happened, and it is hard to convince me that the calamity is totally man-made, other than the fact that the disaster management wasnt as good and the infrastructure sucked. Even though they hada movie 'Day After Tomorrow' about how environmental changes affected by man will lead to disaster, I feel its still a tad to early for that.

Nanolucifer : You are back in StrangeLand huh? Just a few months at google and they straddle you into a plane and send u here! congrats I guess..